Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Sounds Good If You’re into That Whole Shoving Pieces of Metal into Your Face Thing

Spanish style includes quite a few things that I would consider fashion faux-pas in the US. While generally I enjoy much of the fashion here (God knows I can’t live without an awesome pair of boots) among my favorite less enjoyable trends, I would include wearing the same clothes three or four days in a row, the rattail and the Euro-mullet. A Euro-mullet is business in the front, Bob Marley in the back. If you don’t like white people with dreads, trust me, Spaniards sporting rastas behind a crew cut is far more unpleasant.
There is one more trend that gives me the heebie-jeebies: the micro-dermal piercing. Spaniards pierce everything, eyebrows, lips, chins, septum, nostrils, bellies (not belly button, this one just goes across the bottom), any piece of flesh you can gather up and hang an ornament on. The micro-dermal piercing is just a stud. It goes in but doesn’t come out the other side. Why not eh? Although, it’s not quite the same as your run of the mill cartilage piercing. When you want it out, the occasion calls for a scalpel. But, when in Rome...
My friend Vanessa wanted one, and she wanted me to watch so that I could describe the process to her later. The short version is: they put a hole in your face, or between your eyes or your breasts or wherever you want it, and then hook this little puppy in. Your skin heals around it. José Antonio, our beloved piercer by night, pain physician by day, dropped and re-sterilized that sucker several times, but he eventual shoved it in there. Perhaps he was having trouble seeing because of the cataracts in one eye. I’m shocked to say that insofar as it is a mysterious piece of metal in one’s face, it actually looks pretty good on V. Don't worry Dad, I'm not getting one. Honestly, I’m even more shocked I didn’t pass out while she was having it done.


From the Costa del Sol and my spot in front of my roommate's space heater, that's all for now.

1 comment:

Michael Morgenstern said...

That's crazy. One day they'll have piercings that change color, or turn your face into a huge LCD screen, or broadcast information and beep when they are next to other piercings. It's never gonna stop!